View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-04, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
- Except for the opening and closing minutes, the entire episode - in a departure from most every other one this season - took place in a single location, a barren, outdoor site (real + digital?), with no buildings/structures or elaborate sets to speak of. Which, to me, gave it a bit of a "fan film" vibe in places. And I don't mean that as a slam/dig in any way, it just looked like it was made by a small, guerrilla crew with no permits on someone's grandparent's property out in the middle of nowhere. You know...a fan film. But the action sequences and payoffs totally made up for any shortcoming on the visual/set design front. I did like the Indiana Jones nod with the boulder, and the scrubby, rocky setting did give it an Old West/cowboy movie shootout feel.
I was curious about this filming location (curious about how much of it was real/existed, or if was a big digital/CGI creation), so I started doing some Googling and digging. It's Rocky Peak Park in Los Angeles (well, outside of L.A.). I'm sure augmented with CGI as needed (those structures where Grogu sat and reached out with the Force).

One article I read about it caught my eye...

Quote:
Rocky Peak has been prominently featured in many classic Hollywood films, being next to three major Movie ranches; the Iverson, Spahn, and Corriganville Ranches; and its evocative 'Old-West Frontier' landscape scenery.
So I knew what I knew, before I really knew I knew it.

It just had that look, the minute I saw it (and as the action unfolded and we spent more time in that terrain). As I was watching this episode earlier this morning I kept having 3:10 to Yuma and other "wait, is that...?" flashbacks.