View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-12-06, 23:02

Well, the female characters in this show are all just bad-ass! Even the appears-once-in-a-while lady-pilot lady on Gustavo Fring's Star Cruiser has more gusto than Rose Tico, and so far has only had about three lines. She's far more "real" and "believable" because she's not trying to check any boxes, or exist without any place in the plot.

She's nobody, and she plays nobody quite well!

Plus, she's hot, and I love her.

And that's a big part of what has made The Mandalorian so Star Warsy good! Everyone has a role to play, and they play their roles without getting in the way or making you cross your eyes and try to figure out why the hell they're around.

In 1977, I remembered every major character from A New Hope after just one viewing. After three 2-hour+ movies the only sequel characters whose names I can shout with just a peek are Rey and all the characters from the original New Hope. Absolutely no one else stood out enough that I can just toss their names down right here thinking about it. Seriously! There was a black storm trooper, a pilot, some random women whose roles included Checkbox A, Checkbox B, Checkbox C, etc., and I still have no clue what they were supposed to be doing. But Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, the bots, the badies, I know all of them because they were written in such a way that their names stuck!

In The Mandalorian, Baby Yoda has become an internet sensation because he is A) Cute; B) Serves a purpose; and C) Says all the right things in all the right places.

That's story-telling.

And I'm already salivating for 2/7. Bring that shizzle on!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)