View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-12-07, 16:23

I truly believe the future of Star Wars is in episodic TV. It certainly didn't hurt those animated shows. Same deal here, only it's live action.

As I talked about upthread, they're getting a lot of bang-for-the-buck with this show (and I assume others would be in that ballpark). $15M or so an episode, $120M an eight-episode seasons (vs. the $200-300M needed to put out a single big-screen movie.

You can tell a lot of story in a six-hour, eight-episode season for well under $200M. More time to tell a story, even if they're broken up into weekly ~45 minute chunks. People would rather throw in with something for eight weeks, vs. waiting 2-3 years every two hours. And then knowing a new season is only 10 months away.

And now that this show has proven that fans will follow and throw in on it, you know they'll do more. That immersive LED soundstage tech is already in place/up and running, and looks great, so they'll use it for Kenobi and everything else, meaning they're going to get all kinds of use out of it. They'll have it paid off in no time!

As long as this virus hangs on and movie theaters aren't up and running, SW will thrive on the small screen. This one show has already proven it can, and will likely serve as the template for others to come. Keep them fun, don't get stupid, be smart/clever with the nostalgia and callbacks, open up and explore things we've not seen before (and open up and explore things only hinted at in the movies), fill in the blanks, bring characters who previously only existed in animated/novel/comic book/video game form to real life, etc.

To me it's a wide-open canvas! It should be a dream gig for any fan who also happens to be a writer and/or director.

Put the right people in charge, sign on talented directors and others and Star Wars becomes a thing again, at levels not seen in decades. People are stuck at home, worried sick about damn near everything, and are hungry for the warm blanket of stuff that has brought them joy and comfort over the years, even going back to their childhood. The timing is working in their favor, IMO. It's just a shame another series isn't teeing up to debut after the holidays. But maybe next year (Kenobi or something)?

But it is not rocket science. It's damn near impossible to screw up Star Wars if you have a genuine love for it, a functioning brain and a bit of talent/vision.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-12-07 at 16:49.