View Single Post
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-07, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler
I'm the exact opposite. I'd actually pay more for an iPod without all those features.

If I wanted more features and a shorter battery life, I'd buy a PDA. There is definately a market for both, multipurpose-toys and dedicated-use toys?
I don't get how Apple can create software such as iCal with its colour calendars and then sing and dance about how the iPod can integrate with it - but in b&w only... what is that?

I have said it before and I think dglow thinks similarly. The iPod is an iPersonal Organisational Device. Although it is unlikely that it will develop to include fully fledged data entry capabilities, it will (and does) have data syncing capabilities which will enable many users to see at a glance their schedules, contacts, TO DO lists and memos at the same time as being able to transport their digital lifestyle with them: iTunes songs, GB compositions, iPhoto slideshows and albums and perhaps someday Keynote presentations and iMovies. Not that I'm advocating watching such things off the colour screen whilst you jog... more that you have the convenience of being able to present them to family and friends without the need for lugging your laptop about with you.

Also, think about how these advanced capabilites might appear to first time Apple users. With such proliferation in the Windows community the iPod is a perfect trojan horse device to try and woo users of that platform to the sheer elegance and simplicity of OS X as it begins to integrate more holistically with the digital lifestyle.

dfiler - I can understand not wanting to corrupt the purity of an elegantly designed product. "Featuritis" can sometimes suck - but Apple has a knack of producing innovative and well conceived products lately and I think the iPod is capable of evolving without suffering a compromised UI or adolescent ugliness.

You can have your battery life and simplicity of "just the music" with the iPod mini... I'm sure (well, I certainly hope) the iPod brand can and will evolve to better things in years to come - especially now that they have their own division too don't forget!

(phew ... got me on a rant there - I love this topic!)

All I want is a simple life
twitter