View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2018-12-06, 21:50

Probably best to either stay there or abandon it and start building elsewhere. The bad news I found yesterday is that unless you want to salvage a very small piece of your island (the built-in clone command is restricted to a tiny area size), we're just SOL because all the popular world-editing tools are still trying to catch up with the 1.13 release. Forge would be our best candidate, but it's still in progress. MCEdit could a decent second option, but its community is split among two major forks of the app, and nobody seems to be making progress towards 1.13.

So, uhhhh… in related news, upon seeing the lagging state of these major community-driven tools, last night I decided to start writing some of my own from scratch.

My first goal is to be able to redraw biome data. I wrote a Forge plugin long ago for us to do that via server commands, but this time I'm going deeper and writing a program to rewrite the underlying world files themselves. This means having to make offline edits, which is not ideal since it requires a brief game server restart whenever I make changes, but it's the best I think I can do until Forge is ready again.

So far I have successfully built code to parse the biome data out of the 1.13 region files and save the data as an image.

I've been testing on this particular region file because I know it has a few areas I had modified the biome data using the Forge plugin. Those are the bright green rectangles in the lower right!
(I also need to work on a better color map for the biome IDs, but it's a start...)

Next step is to get this to read from another image and write the updates back into the world.

A future goal may include moving whole chunks or their contents around, which brings us full circle to what got me started down this rabbit hole, but that's a much bigger task, and honestly I don't think I'll get far into that before running out of steam.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.