View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-06-28, 12:31

For what it's worth, MacUpdate's page for that updater has an update date of "27 Jun 2008", which is well into the life of 10.5, but two comments near the top that seem to indicate that it may no longer work:

Quote:
doesn't even launch on my 2008 mbp.

10.5.3/10.5.4, 1.1.2 patch.
Quote:
Like StarCraft, 10.5.3 breaks the game.
And yet another that seems to indicate that it may work:
Quote:
I hear 10.5.5 fixes the 256 colors issue with Diablo II. Can someone confirm?
So, nothing too conclusive there.

The VersionTracker page for it has similar comments.
Quote:
Tried on a Intel 1.66 Mini with 10.5.4, Diablo II loaded fine and updated to 1.12a easily. Game would start, allow the picking of a character and take you to the first level, Then crash 10 seconds after your character starts walking. By crash I mean kernel attack, reboot the machine crash. Great game just didn't play on this machine with this OS.
Quote:
Using a Mac Pro 2.66 Quad with 4 GB RAM, and running 10.5.3 with all updates. D2: LoD crashes when launched. Reinstalled the entire game, and reapplied 1.12a. Reverted to 1.11b, still crashes
Quote:
If you have an Nvidia video card, it's mostly that which causes the crash. 10.5.3 breaks Starcraft and D2 on macs with Nvidia hardware and the latest OS update. A driver bug.
Quote:
Apple released a Mac OS X patch 10.5.5 today and it resolves the startup issue with Diablo 2 on my Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo. I am also able to run with millions of colors, in stretched 800x600 mode without a CD in the tray.
Quote:
I have the latest OS X 10.5.5 Leopard and updated with the 112a Carbon patch but Diablo 2 keeps crashing. I just bougt the game and used the OS X installer to install the game.
So, again, not really conclusive, but it seems that it works at least for some people.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.