View Single Post
Hobbes

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes  
2004-11-21, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Until iTunes undergoes a massive revamp under the hood, it won't get the 5.0 moniker. CoreAudio being used instead of QuickTime, for instance, would qualify.
I'm not so sure about that. They're up to 4.8 already, and they've got to maintain pre-Tiger and Windows compatability...

What would CodeAudio as opposed to QuickTime offer the user? (Honest question. I have no idea.)

I suspect iTunes 5 will have some interesting and stylish new features. A smart rating system would be brilliant. Hierarchical playlists (done in some clean, not-too-confusing Apple way, e.g. "collections") is a given. A way to download liner notes would be enormously appreciated. And a redesigned interface with a dedicated full-height pane to better show album art + album info (esp. with the increasing numbers of letterbox-sized screens) would be great -- though I'm not counting on Apple to mess with success in this dept.

The big addition to the ITMS would be user ratings -- and a link-up to album and band information to something better than, ugh, Muse (too bad AMG's AllMusic is so Windows-friendly. )