View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-05-10, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Yeah, and that’s just a few days after they came out. My brother in law has aces of these types of things, since he loses stuff all the time, so I can see the need for these. That said, I for one have absolutely no interest in these myself, don’t lose things often enough to bother. Just something else to track you and your stuff by a company.
Yeah, this is one of those Apple products that never once appealed to me, or hit my "oooh, interesting" meter. Since they've been out, it seems a day doesn't go by without some "uh-oh" story related to them.

As a single guy, living alone, I simply don't lose stuff. My keys and wallet, if not in my pocket, go in my nightstand, religiously. No exceptions. I don't leave either in various, "interesting" places around the house every day. Pocket or nightstand...period. My phone is either in my pocket, on nightstand, desk or coffee table. I don't leave it in any other places either. When I'm out and about, they all stay in my pocket until/unless they're being used...then, you guessed it, right back to their pocket (keys in front right, wallet in back right, iPhone in front left). I don't leave my phone on restaurant tables, bars or store shelves. It stays in my pocket. When I leave anywhere - restaurant, store, theater, etc. - I do my little three-pat check before I leave, knowing that doing it 30-60 minutes later isn't going to help, because a phone or wallet will walk away pretty quick.

I don't think it's any sort of secret/surprise that the people I know who are always frazzled/losing stuff are the ones constantly juggling a million things, are on all the social media and constantly checking/living their lives by them (which means they're constantly pulling their phones out to check the latest posts/feeds, which increases the chances of leaving it somewhere weird, which also means they're distracted by all they're seeing/reading, so they're more likely to leave their keys somewhere weird), always walking around with coffee, phone, keys, texting/selfies/speaker phone calls (in public...why?), fooling with their nails or jewelry, etc. Just constantly doing stuff, nonstop. I guess they think it makes them look busy or "getting shit done"?

Nope.

"Guys, relax...pare down a little. You're allowed, I promise."

I've got a few soccer mom type friends (stay-at-home moms/wives whose days aren't exactly filled with important, demanding stuff) who never have their hands empty, never aren't on their phone, never have less than 3-5 tasks happening at once. And they're constantly forgetting/losing/scrambling for everything (keys, etc.).

I'm pretty much the only person in my immediate circle who isn't that way. My hands are always empty, I'm rarely on my phone, when I'm sitting down to eat a meal that's actually what I do, etc. Shocking, I know.

I'd like to put an AirTag on my kitty, just in case he ever escaped. That might be my only reason to buy one, but he's an indoor guy with a nice screened-in porch for 24/7 fresh air and squirrel/bird watching. He no longer makes the effort to fly the coop...he knows he's got it good. Food, water, doting, toys, comfy places to hang, temperature control, no predators/cars, etc.

Do you think that'll be something people do with AirTags? Dog collars, etc.? I never thought about that until just now. Or is that small and a choking worry? Are they small enough for cats? Or is that the AirTag Air, coming this fall? Little dime-sized tracker for smaller places?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-05-10 at 15:41.