View Single Post
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-08-15, 22:54

Agreed,

I certainly didn't intend to misperesent what was said.
I also noted the mis-spelling and was aware it was the view of just one person. Perhaps a trouble maker, perhaps genuine. I was just suprised to see it on a BBC site though. They do actually tend to print a representative cross section of comments when they do these surveys. They get 100 of thousands of replies to these surveys. This I know, so I would suggest that is not the only one like that they have recieved.

I was more interested to see that someone from the US had that comment to make about Google. It is often that people from the US who travel outside the US are suprised at the World Vview compared to what they see at home.

It is a fact that most people accept that American news in the US is not, shall we say, quite the same as that on International news programs and I feel this may also be true with some of the results you get from Google.

How do people feel about this?

I do know that Google UK, for example, by definition returns different results from the main Google site. This is to be expected but with International News... That is worrying for people in America... not for anyone else.

I have found mixed results with articles on the Google flotation.
Indeed I was actually planning to buy some, however, as I am not a US citizen I cannot. Fair enough. Rather flies in the face of a 'global company' image but I am not complaining.

I also am an advertiser with Google, both paid and a carrier so I cannot be held to be anti-Google. They are also my search engine of choice... heck Google is in the top right of my browser (Safari) and I use it upwards of 250 times a day!!! I was rather more concerned that perhaps there is something more sinister in the difference in news coverage.

Please don't think I am trying to make trouble for Google. I am actually a fan of their different style of business. I also agree wholheartedly with their efforts to stop Blue Chips make unreasonable profits from the flotation of Google. I wish they would extend that to all interested parties, not just those who have US citizenship. But I am not bitter about that either.

I just was passing on something I found interesting?

Concerning?

Have a nice day!
scratt

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt