View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-12-25, 11:12

Bump!

So I'm trying to update my hosts file in Leopard and now it just doesn't seem to be working at all. I should have left it alone after upgrading but I have been seeing to many ads left over. So I went to edit my hosts.txt file and found most of the ads I wanted to block were listed in my hosts files already.

There were two hosts files in my /etc folder and so I deleted the one that was empty. I ended up having to change the permission so that everyone had read only access I also added Administrators to the list with read only access.

Well then to the next step of running "lookupd -flushcache" from Terminal but I get a message back saying: -bash: lookupd: command not found So did Apple change the commands in Terminal?

What am I missing? Now none of my ads are being blocked. I've tried rebooting and still nothing.

Leopard 10.5.1, MB CD 2GHz

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.