Thread: 2016 Olympics
View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-02, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I don't think the USA would get the Winter Games any time soon - they're in Canada next year, see...
2026 is sixteen years after Vancouver, which is double the gap between Vancouver and Salt Lake City 2002...

Just sayin'. In those sixteen years, the Winter Olympics is hitting Europe (Sochi 2014) and will probably hit Asia (PyeongChang is going to get 2018, I can feel it) and maybe Oceania (New Zealand has expressed interest for 2022). I don't think a return to North America for 2026 would be in any way impeded by Vancouver 2010 - if anything, not hosting since 2010 it would help us, because they probably wouldn't want to hit Europe or Asia again so soon.

I'm not sure where else they could go, really. They would have already hit Oceania, and I'm not sure Africa is equipped for a Winter Games. We'd be mainly competing with European nations (Sweden?) again, which might hurt us, but having not hosted since 2010 we'd have, if anything, an upper hand.

It's worth noting that the IOC doesn't have a formal rotation policy, but...they pretty much do, I mean really, and everybody knows it. That's one reason why I knew Tokyo and Madrid wouldn't get 2016, despite having the highest scores on their technical evaluation. (If Toyko is smart, they'll pull a Paris, sit out the next two rounds, and push for 2028.)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong