Thread: Wwdc 2020
View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-03-29, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I'm seeing rumours of USB4 showing up in 2022, and I can't understand why a standard that was finalized in 2019 would take so long to show up. Usually, it's 8-9 months, isn't it? I understand we may have delays because of current world events, but 2.5 years?
USB4 isn't anything special, is mostly just USB3.x rebranded, with a version of it having thunderbolt speed, but not being fiber based like Thunderbolt 3. So more big, thick copper cables, in fact dual cables for the version that supports 40GB/s. So another version, with yet again with tons of needless point versions, and subversion. Such silliness.

PCIe 4/5 are coming, true enough. PCIe 4.0 is already here, and has been on shipping consumer AMD platforms and GPUs since last summer, but other than some high end SSDs, it's not even close to be being useful. Right now, if you aren't working on huge files, like uncompressed RAW 8K video for example, you'll never notice the difference. PCIe 5.0 likely won't be seen outside of data centers, and not for another 3-4 years, due to costs, and the size of the data pathways. It won't be practical or affordable on consumer products in the next 5-8 years, that much is for sure. The ratification of the PCIe 5.0 standard does not mean that it is ready for shipment, just the standard is there, so manufactures can begin testing and development projects.