View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-03-31, 11:12

It will indeed. As someone who was in on the ground floor of the iPhone, from summer 2007, the whole one-hand thing has always mattered to me. Those who’ve come to the platform since the 6 have only known the larger, 4.7”+ screens/bodies and are fine with having to use two hands in many scenarios (one to hold, the other to tap/use), but for someone who’s spent 12+ years using an iPhone comfortably with just one hand - both securely holding it AND able to easily access every bit of the screen with my thumb - going larger will be an change I’m not 100% nuts about. Based on the time I’ve spent on the 6/7/8 of others, I’m gonna sacrifice a bit of secure grip or reach span at any given time, depending on what I’m doing and what I consider more important at that moment. I sure don’t like that...when using one of those 4.7” models, I have to alter my grip/hold in order to reach t far side with my thumb in a way I’ve never had to on 4” (or smaller) models. I fear I may become a regular dropper, having never been one all this time.

I don’t have baby hands, but I certainly don’t have Shaq hands either. The SE is raight at that upper limit of secure hold/easy thumb access. I’ve never wanted an iPhone that requires two-hands. Standing in a store, holding a shopping basket, I can always do everything I need on my SE with my other hand. If that changes too much, that’s gonna suck.

I’m hoping maybe there’s enough design tweak (smaller bezels, etc.) to help offset that a little? Maybe this upcoming one will have a slightly smaller, narrower body than the 8? Always a possibility...

I was hoping all along that’s what would’ve been done...a 4.7” from the iPhone 6/7/8 fits within the footprint of an SE case. I realize some tweaks may be needed for technical reasons, but to have that larger display in the same one-hand-friendly size of the SEvwouldve been a dream, perfect iPhone for me.

I mocked one up a real-life version with foam core, screenshots, etc. and it’s a joy to pretend with...iPhone SE body with the front an entire display like the flagship models, just in the ~4.7” size!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-03-31 at 11:31.