View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-03, 11:37

Well I came to accept this some months ago. As much as I'd love a 5/5s/SE sized body with a full-face screen - my dream iPhone, basically - that just doesn't seem to be in the cards. I think, as I say above, Apple is out of the 4" iPhone business. But a 4.7" phone with the current processor/specs (A13, etc.) for ~$399? What's not to like.

When the original little SE appeared in early 2016, it sported the same A9 as the 6s that was released 4-5 months earlier in the fall of 2015. But beyond that, it didn't have all the various bells and whistles the 6s had. So there isn't precedent for this...the "budget" model is going to share some, but certainly not all, of the latest techno-whiz found on the $699+ flagship models.

I'm just glad people can get a new, nicely-spec'd iPhone for well under $699. Apple kinda lost me when they decided everything needed to be Big & Expensive™ on the iPhone front. The SE I currently own (and the one I plan to purchase) is the only thing that kept me an iPhone user these past four years! I know Apple is never going to be "bargain basement" (and I wouldn't want them to), but if they think everyone is cool with shelling out $700 (or $1,000+) for a new phone, they're sadly mistaken. This will be a huge seller, mark my words. I think the original SE sold more than they probably ever wanted to acknowledge.

This new SE is fulfilling the exact role the original did in 2016: a proven, earlier-generation (and smaller) body packed with the latest processor. The SE maintained the beloved, popular 5/5s body but had a A9. This new one sounds like it'll be based around the general 7/8 design (and its smaller 4.7" display), and come with the same A13 found in the flagships. That's pretty much a dead-on repeat of what happened in 2016.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-03 at 11:59.