View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-07, 15:43

Yep. My original plan was to make it a full five years with my SE (until April 2021), but even after having the battery replaced on New Year's Even 2018 (15 months ago), it's really not all that robust in that department. Out of laziness (and hating to deal with any sort of "support" process/personnel), I just never pursued anything. I figured maybe that's the reason those replacements were $29 throughout the end of 2018?

You Get What You Pay Forâ„¢

And Jasper, my kitty, nudged it off the bed about four months ago (trying to FaceTime the cat down the street, or order a crate of Fancy Feast from Amazon?), putting a little hairline crack in the top area near the earpiece, and I'm noticing a slightly yellow "blob" of discoloration in the very upper left corner of the display...I think it had something to do with the drop as well as that's when I first started noticing it, several days afterwards...

It all works fine, but when you combine all the above - questionable battery performance and battle damage - I'm not as determined to push it to five years as I might've been 6-8 months ago. But I still got a solid four years from it, using it every single day (sometimes quite heavily/non-stop), so I can't complain or feel short-changed one bit! I kept it two years longer than a lot of people keep their phones (and almost a full year longer than I've kept any previous iPhone). I'm totally okay if this is a four-year iPhone for me. The five would've been something neat the frugal, practical side of me would have loved to brag about, but oh well...

So maybe tomorrow (hardware has been released on Wednesday quite a bit). And if not, then I'd wager the farm next Tuesday or Wednesday.

And, yes...times like these bring out the impatient, "can I take a peak under the tree?" kid in me. I don't make many purchases (obviously, I milk something for as long as I can), so on those rare occasions where I am looking to reach for my wallet, the wait/anticipation gets me a little bonkers. I only do this about every 3-6 years, after all, so I've yet to become jaded and blasé to the whole process. I get as spun-up/excited now, at 51, as I did back in 1994, driving home with my Quadra 610 from MicroCenter in Orange County, CA...damn, a whole other lifetime ago!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-07 at 16:01.