View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-11, 12:10

That new GEICO "clogging" commercial manages to both annoy and creep me out. What's with the dancing family? Time-travelers? Or apartment/condo-dwelling Amish? Their clothes and all just add a sheen of weirdness to it all. Might've been funnier - not so weird/question-conjuring - if they were all done up in white pants/skirts and frilly shirts like you'd see on the Grand Ole Opry cloggers (with some overdubbed hoe-down/square-dance fiddle music, etc.)? But this Straight Outta Lancaster approach is just odd to me.

That kid shoving spaghetti in his mouth as he's sadly dancing, as though that's how he earns his room and board...ugh, can't stand it! I've already conjured up some crazy backstory for this clan and it's quite disturbing/off-putting...involving abuse, brain-washing, kidnapping, cult activity, etc.

But it gets people (me) talking about it, so I guess it's hitting that first rule of advertising/PR, huh?

But, as a rule, I'm just not a fan of weird-to-be-weird advertising/marketing. Just doesn't appeal to me and that won't make me buy a product or service. In fact, if it's annoying/unsettling enough to me, I'll typically go out of my way to buy the competitor, just because I don't wanna reward weirdos, creepsters, bad-writing and shitty attempts at "humor".

It comes on about ever third commercial break on Travel, Food Network, HGTV and Syfy, so I'm seeing it a lot...insurance and prescription meds make up about 97% of commercials, it seems. If I had psoriasis, spaghetti-dick and looking for cheaper car insurance, I'd be in heaven, huh? Everything on TV would be tailored directly at me.

Ask your doctor about calling for a quote!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-11 at 15:07.