View Single Post
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-02-25, 23:46

Selling...MacBook...for PowerBook? While I'd love to say "let's strike a deal on this", being in the situation of wanting to sell my own 12" PowerBook, I'm also shocked you're considering it. Even if you don't need the extra features now, who says you won't in a year? In two years? What if a new app comes out that would make your life easier, but it's Intel-only? Or when the new OSX release is Intel only? If only for futureproofing staying with your current machine seems like a good idea.

That said:

-Brad is right about the RAM. Actually, his computer also appears to be a twin of mine as well (1.33GHz 12", except I have less RAM and I have a Combo Drive, dunno what he has.)
-My particular PB has 512MB, and typically runs Adium, Safari, Camino, Thunderbird, iTunes, and TextEdit all at once, and it runs smoothly on this working load. Often Colloquy and ShakesPeer are added to the list as well. I also use HandBrake and Terragen, both of which slow it a little but it's still usable during. I can't talk about running Leopard, though, as I'm still on Panther! With max RAM you should have no issues.
-Mine's had exactly 1 issue: hard drive asploded in March 2005, Apple replaced it, been fine ever since.
-I have no complaints, except for the fact that my battery life was awful before and is acceptable now thanks to the wonderful battery donation. Of course, depending on whether you need more than 2 hours of life at a time, you may just choose to buy a new battery, or you might leave it as-is. It gets limiting if classrooms don't have a power port, but if you're using it around the house a lot it's not as bad. This has been the nicest machine I've owned in my life ever.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder