View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-11-03, 13:52

As I understand it, MC renders every exposed block, whether it is immediately visible or not. From what I have read, standard mining practices and below-ground development projects expose a lot of blocks that the system then renders, regardless of your ability to "see" them. Considering the spawn chunks are always loaded (and downtown is within spawn) that means there are many tens of thousands of exposed blocks beneath the streets. Add in all the redstone contraptions, tree farms, animal farms (with their many animals), my Monument Tower (with its thousands of pulsating blocks), etc, and downtown is a rendering mess!

I regularly drop down to <10 frames around MT, and <15 pretty much everywhere else within 300 to 400 blocks of spawn. It's pretty bad.

Taking this into account, I would like to propose the following minor "rules" changes when we switch to 2.0 (which I am assuming will require a complete vanilla do-over (everything gets wiped?).

1) No basements deeper than [X] blocks within the spawn chunks (perhaps 10). This will prevent deep operations that expose many thousands of blocks
2) No mining within the spawn chunks; All mining operations must be >1000 blocks from spawn. This will prevent deep operations that expose many, many thousands of blocks. We are all capable of moving away from spawn and establishing mining operations. This will also alleviate mine crowding.
3) From the N/S/E/W Spawn intersection, a corridor 10 blocks wide is set aside out to 500+ blocks from center
4) The 4 200x200 intersecting lots are set aside for community purposes

The idea being that the major builds within spawn would be above-ground displays only. Redstone contraptions such as chicken farms, etc could certainly be exceptions so they are always running and always producing, but any other major redstone machines should be built on the fringes (outside of spawn) so they shut down when no one is around to run them (a good example are the various traps/farms whose busy-ness would render downtown painfully slow).

It's nice to dig in as soon as we spawn and start mining, but I think this has had a detrimental long-term affect on downtown's responsiveness and it's kind of becoming a drag to visit. It would be better if we institute some long-term planning if we're going to start from scratch. Spawn is for above-ground displays, houses, etc.; We could set aside a transportation corridor running N/S/E/W from spawn's exact center; We could say that the four 200x200 square parcels that intersect at spawn are set aside for community projects (establishing a true "downtown" area)—I would love to see this area mimic a true "downtown" with streets and brick/stone buildings much like you see in old towns.

Essentially, we could treat Spawn much the same as we treat Nether Hub 2.0: Inside the grid, no mining/development.

Just my two bits.

Perhaps we could start a 2.0 longterm planning thread? Yes, I think that makes good sense. Consider it done.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)