View Single Post
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-04-29, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
So does anyone else ride? Any tips or suggestions for a new rider?
Goodness yes! I just got home from a 30 mile cruise around Chicago. It was a marvelous day, I love discovering different parts of the city on my bike. I bike into work most every day (4 miles each way) and am working towards 2000 miles on my bike odometer in one year.

I *really* wish my workplace had showers, though I just have to bring a change of clothes and try not to sweat too much. Riding on city streets really isn't bad, at least here in Chicago. You need to keep your wits about yourself, but that's half the fun From my perception of Minneapolis, I imagine cycling on the roads there should be nice.

I always make sure I have an extra tube in my backpack, as well as some basic tools (the right sized allan wrenches, etc). And a cell phone is essential. I used to go on 50 mile rides out in the countryside in Northern Indiana without a cell phone... nothing ever happened, but I can't imagine what I would have done had something happened 25 miles from home in the middle of nowhere. Yeesh!

Another tip: get some biking shorts! It took me *way* too long to discover that most people don't wear biking shorts for the streamlined spandex... it's for the padding! Grab a pair with regular shorts nylon outers if you don't want to have the super-sleek spandex look.

Heh, I keep editing this to add more tips. Get a bike computer. They're cheap and its fun to see how fast you're going, and handy for keeping time, too.

Oh, I ride an '80s Schwinn road bike. It's marvelous. I love it.

Last edited by Majost : 2007-04-29 at 22:22. Reason: Yet another tip.