View Single Post
Perfecting_Zero

2007-04-30, 07:22

Thanks, AWR and beardedmacuser.

AWR, yeah... my bike is a "she," as well -- Bessy. Bessy the bike. I look forward to your photos!

beardedmacuser, cyclocross, as a sport, is still relatively uncommon in the US. However, the bikes themselves are gaining in popularity as they offer a bit more versatility (namely, the frame clearance for 700 X 32 knobby tires) and robustness. My bike is a Lemond Poprad Disc. I keep my bike set up for road more than for dirt. And yes, I made a conscious decision to ride a nice, well-executed platform pedal over the almost-ubiquitous "clipless" pedals.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how do get on living with them everyday? Some say mechanical discs can be a hassle compared to hydraulic
The brakes are indeed mechanical, but I think that you have gotten their propensities-for-hassle stated backwards: typically, the hydraulic discs are more troublesome. They are susceptible to fluid contamination, leakage, hose damage and catastrophic failure beyond the means of easy roadside repair. I've had virtually no issues with the Avid mechanical discs. It is imperative that the rotor surfaces remain free of oil and grease, so I rub them down with denatured alcohol once or twice a month.

The advantage of discs over rim brakes is that their stopping power is relatively unaffected by snow, rain, mud, etc. Granted, this advantage is partly a simple function of their location toward the center of the wheel's (more protected) circumference rather than being mounted at the edge (or rim) of the wheel's (more exposed to road grime) outer circumference.

Those of you with carbon fiber road bikes, how do you like them? I think that my riding style is too aggressive for the somewhat delicate-natured carbon fiber frame. I prefer a well-made steel frame. But I think that I'm old-fashioned that way.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin