View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-17, 14:20

Since this stuff has a tendency to go down the toilet in a hurry, let's burry the religious/political chatter before it does. The trolls are hungry! Pretty and please?

One thing I can say about Tom Cruise, the dude has enough clout/influence that the Navy actually let them film a large chunk of this movie from the back seat of an actual F-18 Super Hornet (I knew this the first time I saw the trailer; the images are too realistic for CGI, and the Navy has no problem serving it's recruitment purposes by loaning out a plane to qualified people ). Pretty much all of the Tom-Cruise-in-the-cockpit shots are live, shot from some kind of special camera mounted on the control panel in front of Cruise, immediately behind the front seat where the actual pilot is flying the plane on cue, and likely communicating maneuvers to Cruise so he can prepare his body for whatever roll/bank/climb so he doesn't look like he's getting thrown around—which would be the case otherwise. That is some nifty filmography and great choreography, as it is not easy to anticipate high-G maneuvers without playing rag-doll. Those planes are flat out fast, and the high G's can black out an unprepared person in a matter of seconds.

Which is all funny as hell.

In other words, fighter jocks are in very good shape—physically and mentally—because they have to be! And that means that Tom Cruise also has to be in order to sell this thing as real.

P.S. What do you guys want to bet that there is now some footage, somewhere, of Tom Cruise blacking out in the back of this thing? I'll bet all my marbles that the pilot—in all his ego-driven, competitive flare—put one over on Cruise and knocked him cold.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2019-12-17 at 14:43.