View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-13, 21:13

I like it. Brisk and staying on track.

In his older age, and, of course, illness, Mr. Trebek had become slower on the job, as to be expected. And heaven forbid that ever got paired with a chatty, long-winded contestant who gave their entire life story in those interview segments, tried too hard to be cute/funny with constant quips and asides or who inexplicably took 2-3x longer than most to select a question. I've noticed, in recent years, there frequently being 3-5 questions remaining, unasked, after each round.

That was never the case in years past, so things have changed/slowed. And don't get me wrong: if I had it my way, I'd gladly take that if he were still alive and hosting the show until the end of time. That would be my choice.

But things happen and things change/move on. Jennings, being younger and in good health, is going to be snappier and on-the-go more than we have become accustomed to. They're blazing through all the questions, which I like. So many game shows are so slooowwwwww and dumbed down (and elicit audience applause after nearly everything the host says...talk about a time zapper).

But, to my delight/relief, he's being a good guy on the job. I'm thinking the producers might've sat him down and said "we're not looking to re-invent or upend anything. Go out there, be affable and do what people want to see from such a show...the template has been lovingly established, follow it. You can be a caustic dick on your own time, but not in the house that Alex built...we don't wanna deal with the letters".

And it seems to have taken. This is the most pleasant (and least off-putting) I've ever seen Ken Jennings, and I'm okay with how things are going. Initially I had no desire to keep watching, as it would just make me sad (because I'm a sentimental sap underneath it all). But then I thought "why deny myself the pleasure of my favorite show - and learning stuff along the way?"

Whoever winds up with the gig permanently, as long as they are likable, kind to the contestants and keep things moving nicely, the show will go on (and thrive). The world will always need at least one game show that doesn't hinge on stunts/shtick, total blind luck, double entendre and/or making an ass of yourself on national TV.