View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-01-21, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I don't think that'll work, technically. jeb has stated that a new world is "required" for jungle biomes.
With the right technical know-how, one can convert an old world to use the new terrain generator or vice versa based on what's been shown in the preview build. I could do this pretty easily if we wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Personally what I think is "required" is for them to hire some real fucking programmers that could make it happen without a total reboot.
I think Jeb is doing alright given that he still has to work with the mountain of legacy code that Notch had built up until recently. You can't turn one brittle engine into a dynamic adaptive one without some serious thought and refactoring. Jeb's is actually making steps in the right direction, too, by retaining the old engine and teaching MC to toggle between it and the new based on a flag in the world file. Baby steps…

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.