View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-08, 15:18

Here's what I think:

People have always been batshit crazy! What's changed is the "cameras are everywhere" social media situation. So, we get to see/hear it as it happens.

I'm sure that, 150 years ago, a wagon pulled up to a hot springs in Yellowstone, the family mutt got out and dove in, and little Jasper jumped in to save Muffin-y-biscuit. Jasper was quickly boiled, Ma was in hysterics, there was a quick burial, and the family continued on their merry way to Or-y-gone! On the way, they stopped right here in Boyzee to drop a letter to "back home", and said letter took three months to reach ol' granny and Uncle Nestersmith. By the time this letter arrived and granny was crying something awful, Ma was already pregnant with child #9 and Marry Jo Sue had been eaten by a bear.

There was no instant gratification, no entitlement, and barely a road. When something dumb happened, the only people who knew about were the witnesses and immediate family. "Nowadays", everyone knows within 13.6 seconds of the tragedy, and we all get to comment on it, drop a fat "dislike" and thumbs down emoji, and laugh about it in our air-conditioned spaces while sipping coolers of some flavor or other.

There's billions more of us, we're all "entitled", spoiled, demand instant gratification, and there's roads everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Not sure if that was meant to be sarcastic, but I’ll comment based on that not being the case. I grew up watching that stuff, maybe I was the odd one out, but that never made me believe wild animals were like that.

Of course I also grew up going to Science World (seeing nature docs on IMAX), watching PBS documentaries on whatever I could, and such things.
I watched Wile E. Coyote get exploded a million times and never once believed I could explode my brother and he would just "spring away". But, something (drugs, medications, social media?) is driving us to do some dumb stuff!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)