Thread: 2016 15" Mbp.
View Single Post
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-02-01, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
I am still liking my MBP -- and yes the speakers are much superior to those of my 2009 MBP. I do find the occasional glancing activation of the touch bar annoying -- but I imagine this is something that they can fix or allow you to set with an update -- much like the track pad ignores short inputs...

I am not driving an external display (those clearly have issues), but I am happy that my stomach or lap doesn't get cooked when watching Netflix or other videos like my old laptop. That alone was worth the upgrade. I still haven't made the machine fully productive -- I intend to invest in Affinity and perhaps Serif's other options.

My lab has moved to Linux basically enmass (except the boss who is still on MacOS), so having the mac as a better productivity tool (here defined as presentations and papers) is certainly welcome (we're all running Window's emulators within linux to accomplish this in lab, and that becomes a mess quickly)...
The non-cooked lap is indeed a positive. I'll whole heartedly endorse that as well. Lol

How have you set up you or task bar? Maybe I'm too old school but for now I basically reversed it. I made the default the same set up as the old MBP and function actives it for me for whatever adaptations have been put in for it. I figure I'll reverse this in time as the task bar acquires more/improved function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
eh, i'd be surprised to see them adding a 'stack' in order to fix energy problems. today's Apple is so minimalistic, that seems way out of the norm for them.

Sounds like the new hardware is working decently for the bulk of new users though. my sister in-law was down visiting over the weekend and had picked up a 13" with touchpad for her work, and had enjoyed it.

i must be the odd duck.
The only thing I read about what you mentioned that struck me as outside of typical norms was lots of time driving an external monitor without being plugged in.

They keyboard does take getting used to over all. The battery life probably is lower in certain cases given the fact it is physically so much smaller. When I read of your issues, it really made me worry.

The only thing that helped me crack open that box is asking about the last apple product I was disappointed in and I think for me it was the iPod Nano that had zero buttons. Everything else I've had I've always like so I am hoping Apple continues to show me the way here. I know as an example that most people mentioned a concern about the new iPhone 7 home button but I love it. I still do miss a headphone jack occasionally though.

EDIT:

Found this link on battery life testing and added it.

I found that plugging the MacBook Pro 15 into an external monitor engaged the discrete GPU full-time at a cost of 9 watts. While it’s unlikely you’d be at a desk using an external monitor without being plugged into AC, if you do, expect poor battery life.

Last edited by El Gallo : 2017-02-01 at 19:49.