Thread: Internet Woes
View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2007-09-22, 14:09

Lately, my internet has been cutting out sporadically. It is tough to say if it is the ISPs fault, my fault, or faulty hardware. The annoying thing is that, it doesn't usually stop working entirely, typically what happens is that it will suddenly go from decently fast residential cable connection to slower than 14.4kbps dial up connection. Usually, it stays connected the whole time, but something happens to where it will slow down immensely, to the point where most websites will simply time out while loading, and even if a website does load, any links on the site will be just as prone to timing out. When that happens, the 'solution', is just to reboot the modem and our main router(not the wireless router, which doesn't seem to care either way). Whereupon the internet will go back to functioning as it should.

Rarely, it will cut out entirely, not just slow down, and sometimes resetting equipment doesn't do anything.

What do those symptoms sound like to you? Reason I am not calling the ISP right now, is because I'd like to have a better idea of what is wrong before calling them, ISPs are notoriously hassle-filled calls, hassle-filled appointments and hassle-filled wastes of time.

Oh yeah, the vitals:
This is a residential cable connection running through a netgear switch, the modem is made by teradyne, and as far as I know they are all updated with the latest firmware. Sometimes there are as many as 4 computers using the network at once, with at least 2 being wireless. Right now, my computer is the only computer using the network, and also, it doesn't seem to be related to how many computers are active, since we have had upto 8 computers working simultaneously without it breaking. I am running a macbook with the latest OS X and airport updates. But this isn't an airport issue.