Thread: From Mac to PC
View Single Post
LewsTherin

2004-10-04, 17:38

This is why I wish Apple would support something like CHRP again. Imagine how great it would be to be able to go to Newegg and buy a PowerPC motherboard and a standard, interchangeable, and non-proprietary PowerPC CPU module, and the other standard components and still be able to run the Mac OS. Get the Taiwanese or Chinese motherboard makers onboard and drive the prices way down. Integrators or cloners could use these motherboards as well. This could bring over millions of dissatisfied Windows customers to the Mac OS that would otherwise be unwilling to spend the money for Apple made machines.

Now for the reality; yes I realize Apple’s hardware sales would tank because many existing Apple customers would gladly trade Apple style for the greater value CHRP machines would provide, yes I realize this would make a lot more work for Apple in terms of driver and hardware compatibility, and yes I realize IBM can hardly make enough CPUs for Apple and that that they would never be able to supply a large PowerPC clone market, and that Motorola/Freescale sucks. But I can still dream.