View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2013-12-20, 19:40

I would like to make a proposal, as I love designing and building transportation systems:

1) I propose a central system based on a grid
2) The grid will radiate out 250 blocks from spawn (at 250, another portal should be able to coexist at the halfway mark)
3) The grid's endpoints will be connected out to the corners, for a total of 9 portal locations
4) Someone who likes over world coordinate finding can tie the over world to the nether using exact coordinates (a variation of this is to use the nether coord. and just get close. If a portal exists in the Nether, the overworld portal will look for the closest Nether portal, right? So, if the Nether portal is located and activated, but not used, the overworld portal should locate it?)
5) Anyone who wants to locate their own portal can do so and either tie in to the system with an appropriately marked intersection, or find their own way back to spawn
6) The grid does not necessarily have to go in a straight line (although that is the most efficient means) and can move up, down, left or right to find a nice view for 709
7) Torches will be laid on the right away from the hub, on the left toward.
8) Glowstone will light all intersections from above
9) Cobble will be used for floors, ceilings and walls against netherack, glass for all exposed walls (709 likes to look at the flowers)
10) For those who prefer to build structures up top, I will do the work; for those who like this sort of thing, I welcome the help

I collected a ton of materials prior to the 1.7 upgrade with this idea in mind, so I have the stuff (and the time, usually, except when a customer walks in and I have to abandon Bobsky in a fortress with no warning ; but he's a suicidal maniac, so it doesn't really matter, right?)

All other portals can be accommodated. The central system isn't about forcing everyone to conform to a particular system. It is only about creating short travel distances to far-off places, with the ability for others to "plug in" where and when they want. A "plug-in" would require nothing more than a Glowstone-lit intersection and an appropriate sign. For private "plug-ins", the owner can light his path the way he chooses, wander where he wants, protect or not protect his road. Only the central system would conform to any "standards" as I noted above.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)