View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-04-30, 02:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
I can't imagine any user having a pleasant experience with 4GB RAM in 2014 doing anything beyond Facebook.
My girlfriend’s 2010 MacBook Air has 4 GB of RAM. Here are the apps she left running when she left for work this morning (I was hoping she had left over a dozen things running as she often does, but not this time ):

And this is the memory situation:

No memory pressure at all. Everything is quick and fully responsive.

This is how many people use computers. Heavyweight Adobe apps are not the norm except among professional users and computer geeks (the latter installing anything they can pirate, whether they know how to use it or have a use for it or not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I do wonder how much it would cost Apple to go with 8GB onboard instead of 4GB? $10? $75? I don't know those kinds of numbers.
I don’t know the exact numbers either, but I know people like Cook really worry about small numbers. Besides, the engineers worry about power consumption. More RAM uses more power, constantly. A MacBook Air (or iPhone) shuts down or puts to sleep idle components to achieve very low power draw, but RAM modules need to be fed power all the time, even if they’re doing nothing. It’s harmful to battery life to power extra memory just for fun.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.