View Single Post
Koodari
Veteran Member

2008-04-29, 04:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaski View Post
I did some reading up on FileVault. As it turns out I would need a lot of free space on my HD to run it (equal size as the Home folder), which I do not have.

If I just create a temp account (with admin rights) for them to use would that be ok or would they be able (with these admin rights) to override the password for my account?
If you don't encrypt, they'll have access to everything just by booting from another disk. They don't even need an user account to do that.
Quote:
A more dramatic solution: I could just delete my Home folder (after backing up to external HD of course) but then I would have everything in just one place which makes me a bit nervous in case the external HD malfunctions.

At the end of the day I just want to make sure that all my info is not sitting there waiting to be harvested. If I can make it inconvenient for the potential thief he might go elsewhere for easier pickings. I am not looking for a 100% tight security.
Doing it right is easier than making things slightly inconvenient for a snooper. Move as much space-consuming media (video would usually be the first choice) to the external hard drive as necessary, then turn on Filevault. Done.