View Single Post
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-05, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
In the beginning, when Bridgeport and the world were relatively small, Brad and a few others did a map with everyone's places labelled. It would be quite an undertaking today but maybe a recent one is in order?

I would say it's safe as a building material, relative to the caution that seems to be taken when fire is used. Besides the one-off Great Forest Fire near the spawn point, I don't think anything's really happened (or else I'm sure it would travel along the wood skyway and end up burning the whole world!). I'm considering building a wool cottage in Bridgeport if I can find a lot of land.

@billybobsky:

Sorry for the baddie distress my in-progress construction has caused. I will be lighting up the top of the wall, once I can figure out how tall I want it (I had originally planned going up to that wood rail; hm). I'm about to get on now and I'll put up temporary lighting, on the wall and around the Dense Forest.

When I was plotting out the land I tried lighting the whole lot up, like you did in such a lovely OCD manner with your fields, but I never really finished with the corners. The great wall should keep things from escaping, once spider proofed. I've also slowly been getting to the treetops at the heart of my town, but is the dark forest a threat to the trap stillor has that been neutered by your spider proofing and creeper blocking?

I haven't done much spider proofing to my constructions, so does the side of the lip matter? Once a spider gets to the top, it could jump across my moat and onto land? I'll just assume so for now and lip the town-side of the wall. (Note: I'm also going to be working on the ground-level, outside-wall lip of the moat 3 or so blocks in. Will that cause any problems to the land you're working on, on your side of the wall?)
Arteggio:

lip should be town side... going up to the rail may still be ok -- I chopped off at the level it was currently at... One good things about the lip is it provides a walkspace for you on top of the wall if you want to do a castle effect.

As for digging into the area beyond, that should be fine -- most of my concern is a combination of work friendliness and whether the area will be tossing enough hostiles off to affect the passive trap/area under the ranch. Given due diligence it should be ok.

I was actually thinking that a great wall of lava might be nice somewhere, but haven't decided how to integrate that into any building plan I have currently.