View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-06-10, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Anandtech recently looked at desktop work station ARM chips, which are more powerful than Ax chips by far, and they are no match for the i7/i9 and workstation Xeon chips from Intel. Putting ARM in the Mac Pro would have been foolish. The ARM Macs are going to be entry level systems, maybe mid-range at best for the first few years if not longer.
I think they'll start at the entry level indeed, but for additional reasons. Higher-end stuff has more likelihood of x86-specific requirements. Like, say, running Windows.

As for competing against Intel, keep in mind that a tiny iPhone with a TDP of just a few watts already has better single-core performance than a 95W iMac CPU, or, for that matter, a 205W Mac Pro CPU. For short bursts, sure, but just imagine what Apple could do with a remotely similar thermal budget.

You're probably referring to the eMag 8180. Apple's Ax chips play in a different league. Just because it's both ARM doesn't mean the design is similar. It's just an ISA.