View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-22, 15:34

The new hotness, and there is no reason to question it. Apple has thought through the entire thing. Rosetta 2 translates the instruction code on installation, meaning the OS does not have to do it on the fly and run the app in an emulation environment. It seems like Apple is well ahead of the game, and I guarantee they have been working on this for years—probably since the A4. The time is right for Apple to relieve itself of 3rd-party silicon, and that is going to include Nvidia and ATI as well. It's going to be huge, it will result in less expensive Macs, increased reliability, regular updates, and improved performance.

And, I now think the first one will be an iMac. It's the one in need of an industrial design change, and that would fit perfectly with a new processor tech, and in the right timeframe (October). In fact, I won't be surprised if a MacBook and an iMac are announced at the same time. One more iMac Intel processor bump later this month or in July, and then a totally new, radically redesigned iMac along with the successor to the MacBook Air, both announced in October.

I will be wrong, guaranteed.

And, yes, the Mac Pro will be along within 2 years, which means it—and its processor—is currently being developed in the lab.

Oh yeah, and Microsoft and Adobe are already all-in. Which means the pro apps are going to be amongst the first out of the gate. Why? Because, as I have been saying, the lion's share of the work was done for iPad so the foundations are already in place.

Also, I'd also like to point out how close I was in predicting the pre-development platform (I predicted the iPad Pro). Turns out, the Mac Mini Apple is using is the exact same processor, which means Mac OS is being developed to run not only on custom Mac silicon, but also on silicon designed for iOS devices.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-06-22 at 15:48.