View Single Post
Dave
Ninja Editor

2020-06-22, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Well, it is now official. "Apple Silicon" is a thing, and there are development machines running an A12Z. And, yes, I was right. They had to announce it now, because there was an official announcement of Mac Ax systems later this year.

This makes me supremely happy.

Also, emulators and virtualization and compatibility have all been thought of, solutions announced, and holy cow Intel is gonna be out within 2 years. And that means Mac Pro towers will be running Apple's proprietary silicon in 2021 or 2022, and, yes, those systems have to be under development as I type this.

Whoo and Hoo!
Rosetta 2 looks very very extremely interesting... It seems that Apple's claiming they can change an executable's ISA ahead of time. AFAIK, nobody's managed this for arbitrary code before. I wonder how tied to macOS's executable format it is, or if the same basic tech could be used on Linux or Windows? Or, for that matter, can x64 Linux or Windows itself be "translated" and run on ARM Macs? What, if anything, does this mean for the future of emulation in general?

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.