Thread: From Mac to PC
View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-10-04, 18:47

Re: Keeping the two machines. I have been trying that, and that's why I have a KVM switch. It was about $50 and provides almost the same function as a second keyboard, mouse, and monitor, without taking any extra space. But in the past two weeks, I've only used the Mac for occasionally transferring files over to the PC. I must not be able to divide my attention very well - not only did I prefer using a single machine for everything, I also can't use dual monitors as my attention can't be split between them. So I've pretty much ruled out a second machine. Besides, a large part of my reason for switching to the PC is due to cost. I don't think it's worth it to keep a machine worth $1000+ when all I use the machine for is web surfing, AIM, and so on. The PC can do all that stuff too. Maybe not as elegantly, but it still works. I see the same internet all of you guys do.

As for getting a game console instead of a gaming PC... well, I have also tried that. I have a GameCube that I do enjoy quite a bit, but it's gotten old. The PC gives me much better control, much higher resolution, and a constant stream of new games to try. The GameCube is kind of inundated with puzzle games, which I hate, and I've already played through most of the really good/popular ones. And it doesn't have any kind of online play, which I think is half the fun of gaming.

Anyway, these are just my reasons for the switch. What people say here isn't really going to convince me to change my mind, and I'm not trying to impose. But I welcome the feedback people have been giving.

And yes, I would love it if I could buy a generic Mac-compatible motherboard and CPU off NewEgg and stick it in an ATX case. It sucks that even a four-year-old AGP motherboard is $100, a case with poor cooling properties is another $100, and the power supply is another proprietary part that will run at least $50. I'm looking at picking up a brand new, modern motherboard with 8x AGP, SATA, gigabit ethernet, Athlon 64 compatibility, and 5.1 integrated sound (though I'd still use a sound card) for about $80. It's all about mass production.