Thread: HomeKit Devices
View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-02-27, 17:56

Rather than adding to an older thread I figured I'd start one to talk about HomeKit devices. This way we can share our thoughts on them and talk about what we like or dislike about them. Since this is an Apple product board, it seems like the best place to share knowledge about the products we like or want more information on.

My home has a mix at this point. Originally I was going to use Control4 in my new home but opted against it because they require a "certified" tech to do everything. Getting a light switch is even a pain with them. So my plan was to only buy HomeKit devices that offer drivers for Control4. My other goal was to be "hub-less". That boundary got crossed when I got my Ikea Blackout shades which require their gateway.

Currently I found a line of products that are really well priced and so far have been pretty solid across the board. Meross is the brand and many of their products are HomeKit compatible. I have in-wall switch as well as Smart Plugs. They work great in the applications I have them. You don't have to have their app on your phone, but you'll need it (and an account) at some point for firmware updates.

I also have some WeMo Smart Plugs and in wall switches. They are just there and functional. Pretty bland but does the job I want.

What I'm looking for now though are options for ceiling fan speed control. I have found one that requires a hub but I'm really not wanting another hub in my house if I can help it. I recently heard there is a new smart fan you can buy that is HomeKit ready. Any one have any input on fan speed control?

Do you have any devices or manufacturers you've found and like?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.