View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-11, 13:54

Someone on set, or in the little town they're shooting in. I don't know.

I'm not defending it, I'm just pointing out the likely "why".

I'm more interested/curious how it fits into a plot set well into the 1950's (or possibly even the 60's). Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, released 13 years ago, was apparently set in 1957. I have to assume this new one would be in the 60's (space race? Vietnam?). I just think that character worked in a 30's/40's setting, the original inspiration for the character/tone. Having him lurch forward, decades afterwards, just doesn't work for me. That ...Crystal Skull movie is completely forgettable. I remember little snippets (the opening Area 51 sequence, a small town motorcycle chase and Marion's return) and that's about it. On the other hand, I know every line, every camera angle/movement, every bit of background activity, etc. of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It, like Jaws, is a near-perfect movie...tight, lean, no wasted space or unnecessary jabber. That early exposition scene is still one of the greatest movie setups every written/filmed. In less than 4-5 minutes, we learn all we need to know - the background, the stakes, Hitler's reason for wanting it, etc.