View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-27, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I wonder if Apple would consider making a multi-drivebay NAS? They could call it the “Time Capsule Pro”.

I don’t know what features APFS would need to be a good FS for such a purpose, but they could fallback on forking/using OpenZFS if they had to (I’d probably even prefer that… “different tools for different jobs” and whatnot).
Yeah, APFS is mostly optimized towards flash storage and therefore not the best fit. They might use btrfs at this point. That might be what they do in their own data centers.

But, I don't see this happening.

Maybe once they unify how backups work across macOS and iOS? You can backup macOS to a local disk or network disk, but not iCloud. You can backup iOS to iCloud, but (other than through Finder, manually) not anywhere local. I can't imagine they're happy with this weird discrepancy, and I sure hope their answer isn't, "got it! Macs, too, only backup to iCloud from now on", but rather them adding a way to backup an iPhone and iPad to Time Machine somehow. And maybe, just maybe, that's the context in which they bring back some kind of hardware solution.

Maybe they'll partner with Synology.