View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-22, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickers

The bus interface does not make up for speed limitations of the drive itself. I mean, that's why ATA133 was kind of a joke when it came out, because drives were still having trouble pushing ATA66 to it's full ability. (let alone ATA100)...
SerialATA-based drives are definitely faster than ParallelATA ones, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. Yes, for long read/write operations, drives barely even get to 50 MB/s, but what's much more significant is access times and short operations.

Quote:
But even with the upgrade, you'll get much better performance out of an external firewire drive enclosure, and a new (modern) desktop sized hard drive.

So you're saying that even a 7200 RPM laptop drive will still be slower than a FireWire 400-based external solution? I have a hard time believing that, considering the hard drive enclosures I've seen benchmarked barely even reach 35 MB/s.