View Single Post
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-02, 11:53

Quick background information: I fix computers "under the table" for pocket change. But I am not certified.

Ok, well get this.... I went around to different computer repair shops yesterday and asked each one "what sort of base-line education are you looking for when hiring computer technicians?"

I got some standard responses, mostly what I expected. A+, and a little experience.

But then, when asking the two shops I want to work at most, they told me that they look for MCSE as a must.

MCSE!?!?!?

I think it is overkill for someone who is going to be fixing PCs. The job does not include setting up a network environment or advanced server support so why would they want me to have that knowledge? I mean, if I wanted to fuck my life over with an IT career I would gladly go for it... but for doing what I do now (only for a store and not on my own) MCSE is a bit much.

A+ I can completely understand... as well as other CompTIA certs, but this is bull. All the work I do right now (repair, new builds, upgrades, home networking and a few others) does not require Microsoft. All my software tools are Linux or FreeDOS based. The only reason I would need MCSE would be if I am repairing servers, on-site, and deep in a networking tangle. But these shops are aimed at home users so I don't think intimate knowledge of Server 2003 is gonna help me.

Right now, I am about to finish getting my CCNA. I am getting it through my high school, and don't have to pay a cent for it. This summer I will be taking the A+ exams... and I was planning on getting my Linux+ cert just for kicks.

Does anyone here have any certs? MCSE?
Does anyone here fix computers for a living? Hobby?
Is anyone here planning on getting such certs?