View Single Post
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-03-01, 18:20

As I've probably mentioned about 200 times here, I've been using a PB G4 17" since July 2004. While I'm probably going to try to hold out until the summer before buying an MBP 17" -- partly because I'm in Mexico for work, but mostly because I want to see what the arrival of Montevina might mean to the MBP line -- I wanted to start getting feedback on some of the important options that are available. Any feedback on the following would be much appreciated:

-- Memory. My current PB is running 10.4.11 and has 1GB of RAM. (I won't be upgrading to Leopard until the MBP purchase, so I have no idea how much more RAM Leopard might require.) The standard 17" MBP ships with 2GB of RAM; is that enough for regular day-to-day use, or would an upgrade to 4GB (I know, I know ... bought from a non-Apple vendor) yield a noticeable improvement?

-- Hard Drive. My current PB has whatever the standard HD was for a PB purchased in the summer of '04. The current MBPs are available with a 250GB at 5400 (standard), or a 200GB at 7200 (add $50), or a 300GB at 4200 (add $75). Left to my own devices, I would likely just stick with the default 250GB at 5400 option. Thoughts?

-- 17" Display. Aside from the size of the screen, I don't believe I had any screen options when I bought my current PB, but the 17" MBPs are currently available with four screen options: Widescreen (default), Glossy Widescreen, Hi-Res LED (add $100), or Hi-Res Glossy LED (add $100). My initial impression is that I'll probably go with the Hi-Res LED (non-glossy) but without having seen any of these in action, I'm not sure yet. Aside from the $100 price increase, any pros or cons to the Hi-Res LED displays? Any guess as to which of the four options will be most popular among MBP buyers?

(Note: I have no intention of paying $250 for a .1GHz upgrade, so there's no need to warn me about that. )

Thanks for all feedback.