View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-01, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Interesting; 2-for-2 on the 200GB at 7200 option. I'm not sure I like the idea of losing 50GB of storage; perhaps the next MBPs will have even bigger HDs and size vs. speed won't be an issue.
To me it's just a matter of that 17" MacBook Pro being such a honkin' piece of gear, and being a true "desktop replacement" type of machine (the ports, processor and power, screen size/resolution, etc. A true "no apologies" type of machine, easily being someone's one-and-only Mac, and running rings around everything but the high-end towers).

Just seems odd to me to "cripple" it by not going with the fastest drive available for it. If they ever make 7200rpm drives available for the MacBooks, I'd upgrade to that as well if I was going to buy one...even if it meant a 50GB capacity "downgrade".

If the rumors are true about updates coming again, sooner rather than later, it may not be an issue, sure enough. At some point there will be 250GB+ laptop drives at 7200rpm.

And if the MacBook Pro would ever adopt the same sort of "easy HDD access/replacement" of the 13" MacBook, options will be open (and easier to tap into) in the future. You could buy whatever was available at the time, knowing that in a couple of years - as notebook hard drive capacities increased - you could easily swap a larger one out without it turning into a huge disassembly/warranty-voiding project.

A nice little "protects the future" type of feature, especially for such an expensive machine (the kind of machine most people aren't going to be buying every 24 months like they might a ~$1,100 MacBook or iMac). If I'm dropping nearly three grand on a 17" MacBook Pro, I'd like to know that I could easily (and quickly) put in another hard drive in a couple of years to extend that "freshness" as long as possible.

Seems like the MacBook Pro "deserves" this capability more than than the consumer-level MacBook (easily accessed/swapped hard drives). I always found it odd that it hasn't received that design yet. I hope those few things come true on this next version (magnetic latch, new keyboard and this HDD access).