Thread: iMac Pro
View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-06-07, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
When exactly did Apple "write off the Pro market?"
As soon as the self-proclaimed tech press said they did.

Apple made a market mistake with the 2013 Mac Pro, but the engineering/monetary effort they put into designing it is clear evidence that they did the opposite of "write off the Pro market". They misread the market, but they in no way wrote it off. It's a beautiful machine—inside and out—that any self-respecting pro would love to have on their desk (if it met their technical needs).

And the iMac Pro did not just design itself in the last six months. It is a system that has likely been on the board for two years, and maybe more. I suspect the iMac Pro was to be added to the lineup regardless the Mac Pro's success (or lack thereof). I suspect any Apple computer has a design life at or over two years (even the Mac Mini). I suspect this because all of Apple's parts are custom engineered, not just off-the-shelf stuff we can pick up at Fry's. It takes far more dedication and engineering effort to design a computer from the ground up than it does to hork together whatever bits are laying around. This why the little folk can build their own PC, but not their own Mac. It takes great effort, which suggests (by way of the 2013 Mac Pro and the iMac Pro) that Apple is doing anything but "write off the Pro market".

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)