View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-11-03, 15:28

I know Apple doesn't release/talk about such things, but does anyone have any clear, concrete real-life idea of how these current Mac Pros are selling?

Do you see/work with any in the real world? Do you see/know anyone who does? Do you know someone who knows someone who does?

Are they a strong seller amongst the crowd they were designed for? The displays too? Is it so niche/focused that mere mortals like me would never hear about/see them anyway? Or, are they just the Trash Can v2.0?

After waiting so damn long on something from Apple, did many just opt to upgrade/trick out their existing cheese grater towers (or go with maxed-out MacBooks, iMacs and iMac Pros in recent years)? Or, worse, leave the platform altogether for greener pastures?

Is this current Mac Pro, at $6,000 entry price, too much/too late? Is there really not much in that $2,000-4,000 space, or are folks expected to go all-in at $6,000+? Wasn't the trash can Mac Pro kept around at Apple's site for a while? I no longer see it anywhere, so I assume it's gone.

For anyone here who is a "pro", in that demanding market, what is Apple doing wrong - and right - in this segment?

That rumor about a new smaller version...is that an "in addition to" (for that $3,000-4,000 area) or an "oops, we kinda overdid it" replacement? Why do they seem to consistently shit the bed in this one market? That trash can changed/meant absolutely nothing, big picture, and they let it sit, untouched, for, what...six entire years? I can't think of a bigger "f-you" to a customer base that basically kept the company in business at one point. Two years into the trash can, could they not see/acknowledge its shortcomings and limitations and put the cheese grater back into production? Or is that a pride thing? Admitting they blew it and reverting to a tower that nobody had a beef with? And then it took another 3-4 years to come out with this current one, which may or may not be making any waves.

I realize government purchases - assuming there are any - don't blink at stupid shit like $400 wheels, but what about others? For $6,000 you have to pick the sonofabitch up, huh? And $5,000-6,000 doesn't even get you a display with a stand? That's another $1,000? Do you think part of the market has sent a collective "f-you" back toward Apple?

That's why I'm asking what I ask in my first paragraph.

Speaking of "pro"-labeled desktops, how long is the iMac Pro going to sit, untouched? According to MacRumors.com buying guide, it's been 1,055 days (December 2017). Are there Intel offerings that could be in this since then (a 2018-2020 update of some sort, to someone current), or does that model use something that Intel themselves haven't improved on/updated since late 2017? If it's the former (current, better processors exist, but Apple hasn't implemented them), who in the hell would buy an iMac Pro? I realize, now, they're not going to with all this other stuff on the horizon. But we didn't know about Apple silicon in 2019. In situations like this, does Apple think it's wiser to just sit, tight-lipped, and say/offer nothing, hoping people will fork over for 2-3 year old hardware with no idea what the future holds?

Is this just a segment/customer base they simply don't really consider anymore, and they just feel obligated to go through the motions and throw a few bones from time to time?

It's a shame pros can't do their work with bitchin' watch bands, huh?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-11-03 at 15:48.