Thread: Wwdc 2021
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-01, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I wonder if building a macOS server would be worth it for file sharing? I'm guessing it won't make much difference but I don't know what magic that server "upgrade" does with the file system.
None. The Server app just bundles a bunch of services.

Back when Server was a separate SKU, there was more to it.

Quote:
I'm guessing it is minimal and just changes the number of max onncetions and such.
I think Mac OS X Server had a limitation that, for $499, you could only do 10 user accounts, and for $999, unlimited, but I'm not sure. In any case, that's long gone.

OTOH, today's Server app does a lot less in total than its predecessor (but does do a few new things, such as MDM).

Quote:
Is the Server upgrade free? I've had it for so long I don't know now. I do know that I currently don't have any machines (VMs or otherwise) running the Server App.
It's $20, which for its feature set is IMO pretty good. If you want a simple file server, MDM, etc. for your home or small business (or, say, classroom), it's virtually nothing. (For instance, Jamf Now starts at $2/mo/device. Hard to keep that under $20.)

For a brief period, it was free for developers (they got a gift code), but it seems they got rid of that. Oh well.

Quote:
BTW, I literally laughed out loud on that one!
Oh, I'm serious!

(I used to have something like that aliased to 'gfdi', but I think it wasn't this one in particular.)