View Single Post
beardedmacuser

2007-02-13, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I haven't thought this through, but I tend to think that the poor have no right to congest and pollute, so if they're priced off the roads that's a good thing.
Yep, when folk face losing their driving license they can get defensive saying the loss will have serious consequences to their lifestyle and quality of life. There are some slight concessions available if losing your license would mean losing your job and failing to support dependants (the law doesn't care about the welfare of the driver). Drivers fail to realise that driving is a privilege that can be taken away if not treated responsibly. We have no irrevocable human right that allows us to drive where we want, when we want, as much as we want.

I see no other way to reduce (or at least prevent continued increases) traffic than to make driving more expensive. Surely the most simple means is to increase the cost of fuel? The more fuel you use; the more fuel tax you pay! Sadly over here in the UK our pro-car lobby ranks similarly in political influence to the pro-gun lobby in the US. Raising fuel tax would be electoral suicide thanks to the pro-car popular media and the threat of mass hysteria like the protests we had not so long ago.