View Single Post
rasmits
rams it

2007-02-13, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
I recall reading somewhere saying that railroad as a public transportation is screwed because 1) we only have one rail running between any two given cities whereas Europe has more than one, allowing for more traffic, 2) priorities are given to freight trains, limiting Amtrak and other passenger trains' scheduling, and of course, 3) scarity of rails.

It's much more common to see old rails get paved over in a town in favor of streets, but I would think it a bad move.
Oh and don't forget:

4) Big oil runs the country. They wouldn't allow something faster, more efficient, and easier than the gas car to get so popular over here.
5) People love their cars. As much as most people say they'd ride a train, I betchya most wouldn't. Trains are so popular in Europe because driving is so freaking expensive, and culturally, they're not as attached to their cars. It would be like asking Americans to go without massive fridges or air conditioners. Europeans naturally do, but there's no way the average American could do that.

Amtrack consistently looses money, because no one rides trains here. I used to always wonder why until I went to Europe and saw how a real train operates. When they say it departs at 10:43, they mean 10:43.

It would be such a colossally exhaustive and expensive project, with the harmonious cooperation of numerous federal, state, and local government agencies / private companies with perhaps even an increase in gasoline and other taxes to even begin having that level of an efficient system over here. Does that sound like something that could ever EVER be feasible in this country?

You had me at asl