View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-09, 21:23

So I have a REAL advantage right now with this whole grapes in the ground thing... I have beehives literally across the street. Like, less that 100' from where the trellises are built. I'm sure I don't need to put extra flowers near the grapes, but I'll do what I need if I have to.

The poles are in the ground and I have the wire but I'm waiting for the anchor vise to get delivered. Then the wires get pulled across. I'm going to go with the Single-Wire Bilateral Cordon System instead of the Two-Wire 4 Cane Kniffin System. Basically it will produce what I'm after with these Muscadines and will be easy to maintain as well. I'm pulling two wires because I'm going to run a soaker hose on the low wire for watering the ground while allowing me to mow as needed near the vines though we are going to cover the ground with something to limit other growth near the bases of the vines.

That is 40' from end to end with the vines so they will have 10' on either side of the wire to spread.
The one on the left is an Albemarle Muscadine with the one on the right being a Scuppernong Muscadine. The one on the left pollinates the one on the right.

That Scuppernong is ready! I'm not thinking we will get anything really useful from it this year, but it is very possible. This is year three for it, maybe four, but it has been in a large pot until today.

Clearly, I'm going to have to really train and then prune in late winter next year. The Scuppernong is bushy and we just let it do it's thing in the pot. Now that it is in the ground, we can't shape it because we are in the sap running time for it and I don't want to hurt the vine.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.