View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-13, 20:51

The wire vise came in today and I got the wire strung across. It looks more like a grape trellis now! I really like these anchor vise too. Sure makes getting the wire pulled and be able to tension later a breeze!

The next step was to get the vines on the wires with the goal of them being a single vine up to the top wire there there will be a split and then the two canes that come off of that left and right. This is where they are now after some minor pruning and shaping.
Albemarle:

Scuppernong:

I really want to prune more back to allow all the effort to go up but I'm concerned about pruning more than is safe for the plant. I'm not expecting a big crop this year at all, but I don't know how much I can get away with on the pruning side. We have been staying in the 60's for highs lately but have already hit 80 a couple of times. The Scuppernong is the one I'm most concerned about being able to beat back. It is so bushy and way to many unmanaged shoots on it. For those who know plants, how much can I really get away with shaping this thing so late in spring?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.