View Single Post
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-06-13, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I imagine bike kickstands would do the trick: lightweight, quick, convenient and the real load will be on the wheels, not the stands.
I was thinking the same thing (I have a couple lying around) - not sure how sturdy it would be if you sat at one end though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I was thinking along those lines too. That, or some short EMT pipes he could affix under each corner.
EMT pipes?

The ideal supports IMO would be four hinged legs that swing up inside the frame for travel, and also have some sort of length adjustment to level the trailer on any terrain.

Anyhow, here's what I did to the frame today:

It's really really strong - you can stand (even jump) on *any* of those boards without it flexing.

For the test run I clamped on a quick-and-dirty hitch made from aluminum piping - sadly it got a little bent. It did show me that towing it is quite easy - the hill I pulled it up is steeper than any I imagine scaling in normal use, and I had a couple of cinder blocks also clamped on to simulate more weight.

I also got tons of odd looks from people, including cops - my footprint while towing this is about that of a sedan, so it's very noticeable.

Tomorrow I affix the deck - the plywood is all cut, complete with wheel holes.

You ask me for a hamburger.